Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. ~John W. Whitehead


For the second time this week, E. has surprised me. The first time was his first class organization of the Wrestle Mania event. The whole thing went off without a hitch and I had nothing to do with it! My kind of affair!
Tonight they are calling for frost and E. surprised me again. I asked if he could help me bring my plants in and put them under the porch. "Sure.." he says and disappears.
Later, I go out to make sure all the flowering beauties had been gathered.
What a surprise awaited me!
All the plants had indeed been gathered and creatively placed in a toy tent.
Out in the yard my flowering plants had been tenderly covered with bags, beach towels, and buckets.
E ? " Yeah?" Did you do this? "Yeah" This is great; thank you!
"Well, your plants are so pretty and I didn't want them to get messed up like they did last time."
And I smile, somewhere deep inside I realize, just like that,
my son is becoming a man.

1 comment:

  1. that is so sweet! E is so thoughtful and is definitely growing up! I think we are all so used to him being the crazy, hyperactive, sports fanatic that we forget what a deeply loving and thoughtful little man he is. He does not show it often... he is more of a quiet helper. I was all in your face about helping - "Wada" :) But E quietly steps up and if you aren't paying attention, you would never know who helped you- perhaps a little ghost? I also can see the pride in his face when he has done something to help his mama. He enjoys being depended on. It just makes you want to hug him and never let go!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting :) Y'all come back now...