Friday, March 1, 2019

Is this what I think it is...?



"Is this what I think it is?"

Looking up I see my ‘baby’ boy, now a grown man, holding ‘the leash’.

Now mind you, it is not really a leash, it is a harness.
A baby blue set of straps attached to a long cord, 
with a teddy bear on the front.
Cute, but, a harness nonetheless; 
one that his siblings still tease him about to this day.

Seeing this item from oh, so, long ago reminded me of the number of times through the years that I have had to eat my words
or eat crow as we say in the South.

This one obscure item taught me a lot about grace, humility, and judgment,
while
hacking away at my self-importance and pride.

I remember seeing poor, beleaguered parents being dragged about by their boisterous toddlers with just such a harness. 
I can also remember smugly looking at my husband to say, 
“I would never…. 
That is inhumane… 
I cannot believe…” 
and a list of other superior, conceited comments.

That is before Ian arrived –
Bless him,
Ian - my most exuberant child,
#5 of 6.
Whoa Nelly, as a friend of mine likes to say, he about undid me.

So, I laugh in response to his question, “Yes, it is”. 

My son remembers a ‘leash’;
alternately,
 I recall a harness that probably saved his life a time or 2 or 10.
And more importantly,
a lesson that tamed my oft-times, conceited spirit.

And with that said
I laugh again and mutter back to him,

"Now put that thing back in the attic; it’s important...”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting :) Y'all come back now...