Tuesday, October 10, 2017

What will doctors do in heaven?



As we talked, I confided how silly I felt. I just wish I could know Dad was alright. After mom had died, I had a dream about her. It was 2 years later on Mother's Day but it was so comforting. Then I joked, Dad loved medicine so much that when he got to heaven he might take one look around and finding no work turn around to go where he would have more to do. Quickly adding I was kidding, tears had filled my eyes as I remembered him.

I knew he couldn't stay. His body was simply a shell, skin and bones cradling a remarkable soul. What a rascal he had been as a child. Growing into the man oft times known simply as Doc. A doctor with a gift of brilliance combined with keen insight and quick intuition, a lifesaving combination. Was he perfect? No, what man or woman is?

No, he could not stay. It was time. I knew it. I had said everything I wanted to say to this man that I loved, my Dad. Over the last several years we had spent a good deal of time together, although it never seemed like enough. I introduced him to Starbucks and frosted coffees. I made fun of his 2 cup coffee maker, "sacrilege". I fussed as he worked too hard in the yard; to no avail. He was as stubborn as the daughter he had fathered.

So, as I began the drive home that afternoon, I mindlessly listened to the radio. I remained lost in thoughts about the earlier conversation until... The announcer mentioned that they were going to have a segment on the things that we will not need in heaven. Oh, my, what are the odds of that? Startled I thought back on my earlier conversation when a caller rang in to say just what I was thinking. There will be no need for doctors because there will be no illness and death. But to my surprise the announcer questioned, "so what do you think all those doctors will do?" The caller laughed and quickly retorted, "play golf and garden".

You know what? Right then and there I understood God was reminding me. The man who loved medicine so much loved it because through medicine he could care for those he loved. But this man called Doc by so many also loved to golf, hunt, work in the yard, tell stories, and drink coffee. He loved dogs, children, and cars, oh he loved cars. And he loved history, music and God's green earth.

Many are probably thinking, really? Golf, gardening, coffee, this is a mighty worldly view of heaven. And you would be right. We will be about much more divine activities in heaven. But God knew I cannot possibly comprehend those, not right now, so He comforted me with what He knew I could understand.

It reminds me of the time one of my children demanded to know if there were going to be McDonalds in heaven? If there were not, she emphatically stated, she was not going. Well, indeed. Now, this was a dilemma. I could not lie and tell my child there would be McDonalds in heaven. But, I could say with certainty -  in heaven there will be everything we will ever need to make us happy and keep us satisfied forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting :) Y'all come back now...